Battle of Corydon Memorial Park is listed as one of only two civil war battle sites on
northern soil; the other is Gettysburg. The battle park is also listed on the National Register of
Historic Places. The park's 5 acres were donated to the Parks Department by the Hays family
in 1975. This area has remained basically unchanged since General John Hunt Morgan's 2,440
man Confederate Cavalry Division overwhelmed the Harrison County Home Guard on July 9th,
1863 in what was to become the longest cavalry raid of the Civil War. The entire raid covered
more than one thousand miles beginning near Sparta, Tennessee and ending with General
Morgan's surrender near New Lisbon, Ohio on July 26th, 1863. General Morgan's escape is
Location: The 5 acre battle park is located approximately one-half mile from the center of
historic downtown Corydon, Indiana, on Old State Road 135 South.
Facilities: Restored Log Cabin, Replica Civil War Cannon, National Historical Markers, Plaques,
Cicil War Monuments and wooded Walking Trail.
Hours of Operation: 8:00 am until dusk.
|Battle of Corydon Memorial Park