Hayswood Nature Reserve was donated to the citizens of Harrison County in 1969 by Dr.
Samuel P. Hays and contains 311 acres of natural beauty. In 1973, a portion of the land was
developed by the Parks Department and the remaining area was preserved in it's natural state
and has remained unchanged to this day. While all of the park is open to the public, the nature
reserve area is kept free of development maintaining Dr. Hays dream of natural preservation.
The park property is as rich in history as it is in nature. The property was once owned by Henry
L. Fabrique, who in 1820, constructed a mill along the curve of Indian Creek. The mill was later
sold to John Mauck who continued to operate the mill until the 1920's. The mill was one of
many threatened by Confederate General John Hunt Morgan during his famous raid into Corydon.
Location: Approximately one mile south of historic Corydon, Indiana off State Road 135.
Hours of Operation: 8:00 am to dusk.
Amenities: 200+ acres of Pristine Nature Area, (3) Picnic Pavilions, (2) Playgrounds, (2) Nature
Trails, (1) Paved Walking Trail, Fishing Lake with accessible pier (license required), Horseshoe
Pits and Abundant Picnic and Play Areas. Reservations are recommended for the Picnic Pavilions.